I love this article: Human Maternal Placentophagy: A Survey Of Self-Reported Motivations And Experiences Associated With Placenta Consumption, Ecology Of Food And Nutrition. They found that the majority (69%) of the respondents reported no negative effects from placental consumption. The majority of mothers reported no negative effects. (The single most cited negative effect was an unpleasant taste or smell.) The most cited benefit was an improved mood; the second was increased energy and decreased fatigue. While benefits like “improved mood” are hard to quantify—mothers are consistently reporting this, calling their placenta doses “happy pills,” and noting that even their small children can tell when they skip pills.
Are you a spreader of placenta happy pills!? Get this awesome tee shirt from Phanganer on etsy. Oh and go read this article!
Jodi Selander , Allison Cantor , Sharon M. Young & Daniel C. Benyshek (2013): Human Maternal Placentophagy: A Survey Of Self-Reported Motivations And Experiences Associated With Placenta Consumption, Ecology Of Food And Nutrition, 52:2, 93-115
Coming in Autumn 2019
Become A Fertility Health Coach
A Fertility Health Coach utilize specific health surveys, medical labs, and other professional tools to establish a foundation for a healthy pregnancy, find and remove obstacles to fertility, and use coaching skills to guide couples on a direct and peaceful path to parenthood.
Kara is passionate about how health consulting can create beautiful stories in families.
She is a Licensed Midwife and Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner (FDN-P) who uses labs and natural therapies to find and address root health issues. She loves to help families get pregnant, and have beautiful pregnancies!
Kara is a life-long learner who is always getting some new certification; she was recently certified in understanding Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS), a tool for healing gut issues and reversing pervasive developmental disorders and autoimmune issues. She has trained in Nutrition Response Training, Neurodevelopmental Issues, and Craniosacral therapy for moms and babies.
As a Fertility Health Coach with Brilliant Birth Academy, you’ll go on a deeply personal, director-supported, and professionally-curated journey toward creating a successful Fertility Health Coach Practice.
Certify Your Calling
Many Fertility Health Coaches are called to this work in the context of their own personal journeys with infertility, hope, pregnancy, and loss as they write the tender story of their family’s beginning. Discover deeper levels of healing and how to inspire others with your story in our culture of honor.
Go On An Exceptionally-Designed Journey
Learn foundational principles presented in a strategic framework so you can easily and deeply internalize core principles into a developed intuition. The easy-to-listen-to condensed presentations come with designed downloads and valuable swipe files so you can learn quickly and easily lead clients on the same journey of discovery toward joyful parenthood.
Create A Successful Fertility Health Coach Practice
The end goal of this journey is not a certification—it’s increase. Increase for the families you serve, for your personal finances, for the freedom of lifestyle that this profession can provide. This program is designed with a simple, clear, and realistic business plan complete with valuable professional assets and tools.
As a result of participating in the Fertility Coach Certification Program, you will be able to articulate the benefits of using a fertility consultant to guide a couple thorough a fertility journey providing them with direction, expert resources, and current best practices for optimal fertility.
- Use professionally-designed intake forms to assess important lifestyle, environmental, diet, and emotional factors that affect fertility health.
- Identify key physical and emotional factors to improve preconception health.
- Articulate how preconception health affects fertility, pregnancy, postpartum health, and the baby’s health.
- Create strategic plans to support the couple’s health journey toward a fertile lifestyle
- Fertility Diets, Safe Detox and Juicing, and Food Sensitivities
- Environmental Health and Toxin Elimination
- Supplement and Herbal Regimens
Counsel On Fertility Diets, Safe Detox & Food Sensitivities
- Educate on the best diet to promote fertility.
- Understand how food sensitivity and celiac affect fertility.
- Articulate how gut health affects fertility and how to test for it.
- Differentiate between IgG/ IgA food sensitivity tests.
- Educate couples on the use of fermented foods and importance of gut health for fertility.
- Educate on castor oil packs and the pros and cons of juicing.
Implement Supplement and Herbal Regimens
- Assess maternal supplements, explain the benefits of limited supplements and focused healing.
- Become familiar with supplements so you can educate on the difference between whole food and synthetic supplements.
- Educate couple on the specific probiotics, vitamins, and minerals that create an optimal physiological environment in the body for conception.
- Explain the benefits of herbs, especially preconception use, to ensure safety once pregnant.
- Identify and educate on apoptogenic herbs.
Facilitate Toxin Elimination & Environmental Improvements
- Guide couples in creating an optimal environment for fertility including recognizing and eliminating environmental toxins, evaluating hygiene products used, etc.
- Understand how heavy metals, mold, electrical magnetic fields and water quality affect fertility.
- Understand how dental care may be connected to miscarriage.
- Guide couple with best practices for detoxing before conception with a personal detox plan based on intake forms.
- Educate on hormonal replacement therapy and bioidentical hormones.
- Educate on causes of infertility and miscarriage including how genetic issues affect fertility and miscarriage.
- Understand tubal issues, testing and treatment options.
- Define tubal pregnancy and understand its ramifications.
- Educate on fibroids, varicoceles, endometriosis
- Educate on treatment for uterine disorders
Assess Couple’s Understanding of Key Fertility Concepts & Provide Education On:
- Understand and educate on a woman’s reproductive anatomy and how to chart and interpret maternal cycles.
- Understand and educate on how to achieve optimal maternal hormonal health for fertility.
- Understand PMS, identify the main types; educate on key ways to alleviate PMS while balancing maternal hormones.
- Educate on how to determine the best time for intercourse based on the woman’s fertility.
- Educate woman on egg health factors and their importance in fertility.
- Advise women on assessing mucus and promoting fertile mucus.
- Understand and educate on a man’s reproductive anatomy and sperm development.
- Articulate common reasons for male infertility
- Understand and educate on epigenetics, gametogenesis, and spermatogenesis.
- Define infertility and secondary infertility.
- Understand how to support a woman passed 35.
- Understand perimenopause and how to respond to it.
Provide Expert Guidance on Fertility Testing
- Define what a basic fertility workup is and when it is done.
- Learn the most effective tests used to assess for infertility issues
- Educate on options for independently ordering fertility test verses through a doctor
- Educate on what tests would be beneficial for unexplained infertility
- Define each of the following tests, learn when they are done, and why:
- CBC, FSH, LH, Prolactin, Thyroid panel, Vitamin D,
- Educate on best practices for blood, saliva, and urine testing.
- Educate on PCOS, and how it is diagnosed, and best practice for treatment.
- Define MTHFR, Factor V Leiden Genotyping, and prothrombin Genotyping
- Understand the types of birth control and how it affects fertility.
- Educate on how ‘the pill’ birth control works and other forms of contraception.
Provide Options Counseling and Professional Referral
- Educate on types of health care providers that support fertility and the reasons for seeing a medical doctor verse a functional or naturopathic doctor.
- Learn how to appropriately refer women while establishing good working relationships with other care providers as a fertility coach.
- Advise clients on collaborative therapies for fertility including fertility massage, infrared sauna, myofascial massage, chiropractic care, acupressure, Chi nei tsang, and reflexology.
- Educate on common fertility treatments.
- Educate on IVF and understand potential moral concerns for clients.
- Educate on egg adoption.